Monday, October 6, 2008

The problem

So on Thursday evening Kyra refused dinner. This kept up through Friday, and on Saturday we headed to the vet. It was clear something was wrong, she was sad, reclusive, and not interested in eating. This cat ALWAYS eats. The vet took a blood test and sent us home with a low dose antibiotic to provide support if she was fighting an infection.Because she was dehydrated, I gave her sub-Q fluids, thanks to my friend K who has vet tech experience and had the supplies.

The blood work came back today and the vet said it indicated something wrong with her liver. They are keeping her overnight, on IV fluids and meds. They x-rayed to see if there was a tumor, and it wasn't fully conclusive due to some swelling in the GI tract. So far it's looking good for no tumor, but not definitive.

Sigh. It's so hard to have a sick animal. My heart is just breaking, I hate not having her here, I can't explain to her what's going on, etc. Our vet is really sweet and I feel confident that she's in good hands. I hope we'll have some more info on her prognosis tomorrow. Positive thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

No comments: